Sunday, November 20, 2011

EMPOWER YOUR VISION WITH SKILL

"Be sure that as you scramble up the ladder of success, it is leaning against the right building"
-Stephen Covey
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Over time, I've heard some really interesting ways of how people discovered their purpose and how they ended up achieving it as if by magic. One thing I got to discover was that when you know the purpose for which you were created, your life seems to be 'engineered' in that particular direction. Out of these stories, there's one I really like which I would share with you. Sometimes we feel we know what is good for us not knowing that there's a higher power that knows better.

A young man once asked God to reveal to him what he would be in future. After constant prayers, God finally gave him a revelation. In his dream, he saw himself washing clothes. Being that the job of a 'washer man' is not considered a 'noble profession', he rejected the vision and prayed again. The following day, he dreamed again but this time, he was ironing the clothes he washed the previous day. That was the last time he prayed for purpose.
He went on to study Electrical engineering in the University and was really good at repairing machines. Sometime after graduation, a friend realized how skillful he was and gave him a few 'damaged' appliances to repair, one of which was a machine used for cleaning carpets. This young man repaired it fast and decided to sell it, but buyers were not forthcoming. Instead of dumping the machine, his business acumen awoke on his inside and he started a 'DRY CLEANING' business. All he had to do was get more damaged machines from his friend, repair them and use them in his business. Today, he not only washes clothes but suits, carpets, upholstery and more. Oh, and he's rich too.  


The reason why many of us who know our purpose tend not to appreciate it is because we can't see the future in it. Most of the time, visions and revelations are given to us raw; it's left to us to refine it.

One of the best ways to add value to what you do is to become someone of value. The young man in that story didn't want to bring himself down to the level he saw in the dream. Instead, by developing himself and learning something new, he unknowingly brought the purpose up to his level. Not everyone is lucky to discover purpose through dreams or visions but one thing is certain- we all have a purpose for which we're here on earth. It's up to you to determine how you achieve it. You create your own future, so start modeling it now so it becomes a MASTERPIECE later.

How did you discover your purpose? Was it through a vision, reading a book or just interacting with friends? Are there any steps you know in living a fulfilled life? Your comments are welcome.
Don't forget to share this post with friends using the links below.
If you enjoyed this post, you can subscribe here and receive new posts straight into your mail. 

Ebooks you might want to check out:
Change Your Mind, Change Your Life
Power, Purpose and Service

18 comments:

  1. Thoughtful post and as usual I agree. It's one thing to have a vision but you have to work with it and for it to bring it into reality.
    When I was 40 years old I realized that my path was to be a writer. And I have been working on that vision every day since. I have achieved some success and had some setbacks but as long as I put in the effort I move closer to my vision

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mike martin
    Setbacks are sure to arise but knowing what you want and going for it helps you go through. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your posts, Lanre.

    I still don't really know what my purpose in life is, and I'm 55 years old.

    I know I love people and love to see them smile. I know I love to share my experiences and tell stories. So I'm hoping that my life as a writer and storyteller is serving a value to society and helping me the best person I can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @wizardofwords
    Discovering purpose is not like seeing the handwriting on the wall saying,'This is your purpose'. Sometimes what you love doing could end up being the reason you were created. Just make sure others gain from you 'cos that's the whole point. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your post. Not sure what my purpose is, but have added a faith page to my blog, www.mynewdiet.org and trying to live my faith by taking action on each Sunday's message.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lanre,
    Very thoughtful and inspiring post.I came across your blog on Linkedin. I agree with what you said. Once you come closer to your calling you will find some guidance from a higher power.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great story. I actually discovered my purpose in one of the lowest points of my life. Many times, adversity brings out your strengths and forces you to search for your purpose because of your desire to experience more in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree--I think each of us is born with a special purpose. We are really blessed when we discover our passion or our purpose early in life, but sometimes it takes us a lot longer. I loved being a psychologist for over 30 years, but when I retired and discovered my "passion" to be a writer, that was a whole new ball game! I love to inspire kids through my writing and this is like the "dessert of my life." Another great blog post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @cathy.kenyon
    @Chocolat negro
    @Sandra McLeod Humphrey
    Wow! I appreciate all your insightful comments. No matter what you do, making impact in your own little way, wherever you are should be among your priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We actually covered this theme last Sunday studying Hebrews 12:1-3 ... when you get in your own lane, and live life in God's purpose doors open and success pours in. Finding that purpose though is one of life's journeys that eludes most.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really inspiring, Lanre! It reminds me of a statement made by Myles Munroe: cemeteries are the places in the world where you'll find the most wealth because they are filled with so many dreams and purposes that have never been realized (paraphrased).

    I consider myself really blessed and fortunate to have realized my path to become a writer at the age of 25. I can't really say that I've fulfilled my purpose yet. But, at least I can say that I'm on my way there. Like what Mike said, there are setbacks and challenges. But as what my friend told me "if it doesn't kill you, it will only make you stronger."

    Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @blogpond
    @Adeline
    Yes, discovering purpose would not kill you but only refine you. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think maybe my purpose has been evolving over my lifetime, or perhaps I've had more than one, different ones at different times. I keep listening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Rosy Prose
    On the road to fulfilling destiny, there are tasks on the way. Doing them would help you achieve that definite purpose. I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lanre, I loved this post. This is very thought provoking!

    As for my vision, well, I want to help people. Its best if I combine my skills to do so, thus I am working hard on that track. Your post also made me feel that nothing in life is beneath us, we just have to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Neeraj Sachdeva
    I guess we're vibrating on the same level. I also want to help people and I try to fulfil it in my own little way. As I acquire more skill, I channel it towards that purpose and it works. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post really resonates with me, Lanre. It took me a lot of trial and error to feel like I'm on the right track and really living with purpose.

    As you've suggested, the universe does not deliver your purpose to you in a nicely wrapped package. You've got to be somewhat of a sleuth and go looking for clues. A neat tool is strengthsfinder.com.

    In school they make it sound like you can choose between firefighter, school teacher, nurse, doctor and astronaut. And that's just so far from reality.

    I started out as an artist, became a writer... fell into technical writing... felt like a fish out of water... kept searching... and now have crafted a life that includes small business marketing, teaching, blogging, health and beauty consulting and writing books. It has been a journey, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @jaynalocke
    Discovering the reason for your existence doesn't come easy. As you said, you'll try out a lot of things before settling for one. This was the same with me. Sometimes I feel I haven't found it yet. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Have any comment? Let's hear it.
Did you enjoy this post? You can subscribe here and receive new posts straight into your mail.